Your body performs best when you are in good health but this doesn’t just mean physical health, we can often forget about the importance of our mental health. Wellbeing and good mental health means something different to everyone, but it is something we can all work on.
Ways to improve your mental health and wellbeing
- Learn to relax and do things you enjoy – Having something to look forward to promotes positive mental health this can include listenting to music, practising meditation techniques or yoga, gardening, playing with pets or catching up with a friend.
- Get moving! – Exercise is a great way to improve a negative mood and studies have shown that as little as 30 minutes of physical activity a day can lead to a happier and healthier lifestyle, including reducing the risk of depression.
- Eat healthy – Eating a healthy, balanced diet has been shown to make you feel calmer and eating regular meals will improve your energy and regulate your blood sugar levels.
- Get enough sleep – When you are tired you ar emore likely to feel stressed or worried. Aim for 8 hours sleep per night and allowing yourself enough time to wind down before bed.
- Stay connected and keep in touch with family/friends – Feeling connected can help you feel confident and valued, and gives you a support network in difficult times.
- Get involved – Join a local community group in an area that interests you. This will allow you to meet people with similar interests and in Lara there are many options to suit everyone.
- Set goals – Setting and achieving goals can help to organise your time and can give you a sense of purpose in life. It will also help you to introduce a regular routine and structure to your days.